Hachette Book Group, Inc.
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
Please read carefully and contact us with any questions.
TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information in order to use our Site to communicate with readers regarding authors and books we believe may interest them, and for our legitimate business needs. When you use the Site we may collect and process the following types of information about you:
Information about You and Your Use of Our Site
Personal Information. Any information, which may include personal information (sometimes called “PII”), that you directly and voluntarily provide to us, such as: name, home address, business address; email address; phone and cell phone numbers, birthdate; zip code; text message address or other wireless device address; instant messaging address; social media handle; and/or other information that may identify you as an individual or allow online or offline contact with you as an individual.
How We Collect Information from You:
- From forms on our Site or submitted to our Site (e.g. to receive newsletters or request other information), where we ask you for such information as your name, email address; zip code; age.
- If you participate in a promotion, e.g., a sweepstakes, which involves our mailing you a prize, we will collect Information, including your telephone number and street address.
- Participating in a Hachette poll or survey.
- If you report a problem, send us feedback or request technical support or other customer service for our Site.
- If you pre-order a book in connection with qualifying for one of our giveaway campaigns.
- Certain information is collected automatically about your use and interaction with our Site which may include: pages or content you open or interact with, pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Information about Your Device
We may collect technical information about your device, including an identifier, device type, IP address, phone, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
Analytics & Data Collection
The Hachette Site uses third party technologies to help us gather aggregate information about the user experience. The Site uses analytics tools (Google Analytics). Because of this, the web browsers used by our visitors automatically send certain information to Google. This includes, for example, the web address of the page that you’re visiting and your IP address. Google may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there. We do not share any of this information with any other third parties.
The information we collect allows us to better tailor our web experience to the interests of our visitors. This information may be used in aggregate form by Hachette to assess general user interest in our Site and the content on it. No personally identifying information is included in this type of reporting.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- To enable us to provide and maintain our Site, including Site administration and internal operations such as troubleshooting and testing;
- To improve our Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device of choice;
- To determine your eligibility to win and/or to send you a prize or award in connection with a promotion, e.g. sweepstakes;
- To provide targeted advertising for our titles across unaffiliated web properties;
- To notify you about changes to our Site;
- To keep our Site safe and secure; and
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share information about you, which may include personally identifiable information, with selected third parties in the following ways or in the following circumstances:
- We may share with business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to the extent necessary to assist us in providing and maintaining our Site, and the improvement and optimization of our Site;
- We may share with service providers and business partners who supplement information we collect with additional information about our Site visitors and help us better connect with our audiences.
- We may share in connection with promotions which we conduct (i.e., we are the Sponsor) or in which we invite another entity to co-sponsor with us or supply prizes. In those situations, the information we obtain from you in connection with the promotion may be shared with our partner when we specifically indicate to users that we may do so and obtain your consent by participating in the promotion. In those situations, our partner will have the right to email you directly or to ask us to share our information about you with the other party for their own purposes consistent with their own privacy policies, which we urge you read before giving you consent, as we are not responsible for how partners may use the information.
- Links to Third Party Web Sites and Apps
- Our Site may include social media features, including share links that enable you to share, post or link our content through your accounts with third party social media services. If you choose to share content from this Site with social media features on other sites, you should confirm that the sharing of such content doesn’t conflict with the terms and conditions of the other site.
- Hachette may collect, use and share information about pages, about authors or books you view on our Site and how long you view pages of specific content on our Site with third party partners. We may also collect information from third parties regarding similar such content that you view on third party sites.
- In addition, we may provide to third parties aggregated demographic information, but not information that describes or identifies any individual user.
STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We take reasonable precautions to protect your information both online and offline and allow only employees and third party contractors who need the information to perform a specific job to access your information.
Some information you provide to us or our partners may be stored by third parties, on our behalf or in addition to our own storage. For example we use third parties to operate some of our promotions. We take reasonable steps to confirm that those third party partners who collect information on our behalf protect and secure your information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of your data; any transmission is at your risk.
Hachette reserves the right to monitor all network traffic to our Site to identify and/or block unauthorized attempts or intrusions, including the uploading or changing of our Site to or to otherwise change information or cause damage to Site in any manner. Anyone using our Site expressly consents to such monitoring.
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your Information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
Hachette’s Transfer of your Information as part of a sale of the Company. If Hachette sells substantially all of its assets to or is acquired by a third party, information held by Hachette about you which we have collected from our Site, including your name and email address, may be one of the transferred assets.
You may choose to opt-out of certain communications or uses of information collected by Hachette or third parties in our Hachette newsletters and email communications, by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any of those communications or by contacting us at email@example.com. (Please allow us time to delete information about you from such communications and remember that we can only delete such information if you provide us with all email addresses you have used with us; otherwise, we will delete the email address for the communication for which you are opting out.)
If you believe that any of your information is incorrect or needs updating, please let us know at.com. Hachette will use reasonable efforts to correct your information and our records upon verification of the requested change.
Certain sites, e.g., http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/kids/ [Little Brown Books for Young Readers] and e.g., http://jimmypatterson.org/, are web sites directed to children that we own or operate. Our Site and most of the other sites we own or operate are not intended for or directed to children under 13 years of age nor does Hachette knowingly collect or store personal information on those sites from children under 13. If we discover that a user is under 13 years of age, he or she is not permitted to submit any personal information to the Site unless the Site is specifically designated as directed to children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with personal information without the parent or guardian’s consent, he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete such information from our files within a reasonable amount of time.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY. Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of personal information with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your personal information to us, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at:
Hachette Book Group, Inc.
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
Attention: Legal Department
Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of those third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified in this section, if not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
HOW LONG WE KEEP INFORMATION
We keep information that we have obtained from a cookie for 540 days. If you return to our Site, new cookies may be added, which expire after another 540 days. In addition, by entering
promotions from this Site, entrants will automatically subscribed to Hachette newsletters and emails concerning authors and books, exclusive offers and other promotions sponsored by Hachette. Entrants can unsubscribe to newsletters and emails at any time by following the directions on the newsletters and emails to “unsubscribe”.
Policy originally posted September 6, 2017 has been updated as of September 28, 2017.
©2017 Hachette Book Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
1. Proprietary Rights. As between you and HBG, HBG owns, solely and exclusively, all rights, title and interest in and to the Site, all the content (including, for example, audio, photographs, illustrations, graphics, other visuals, video, copy, software, etc.), code, data and materials thereon, the look and feel, design and organization of the Site, and the compilation of the content, code, data and materials on the Site, including but not limited to any copyrights, trademark rights, patent rights, database rights, moral rights, sui generis rights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein. Your use of the Site does not grant to you ownership of any content, code, data or materials you may access on the Site.
2. Limited License. You may access and view the content on the Site on your computer or other Internet compatible device, and make single copies or prints of the content on the Site for your personal, internal use only. The Site and the services offered on or through the Site, including any content and materials thereon, are only for your personal, non-commercial use.
3. Prohibited Use. Any commercial distribution, publishing or exploitation of the Site, or any content, code, data or materials on the Site, is strictly prohibited unless you have received the express written prior permission of HBG or the applicable rights holder. You may not otherwise download, display, copy, reproduce, distribute, modify, perform, transfer, create derivative works from, sell or otherwise exploit any content, code, data or materials on the Site. If you make other use of the Site, or the content, code, data or materials thereon, except as otherwise provided above, you may violate copyright and other laws of the United States, other countries, as well as applicable state laws and may be subject to liability for such unauthorized use. HBG will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
4. Trademarks. The trademarks, logos, service marks and trade names (collectively the “Trademarks”) displayed on the Web Site or on content available through the Web Site are registered and unregistered Trademarks of HBG and others and may not be used unless authorized by the trademark owner. All Trademarks not owned by us that appear on the Web Site or on or through the Web Site’s services, if any, are the property of their respective owners. Nothing contained on the Site should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise, any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on the Site without our written permission or that of the third party rights holder. Your misuse of the Trademarks displayed on the Site is strictly prohibited. HBG will aggressively enforce its Trademark rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
7. Prohibited User Conduct. You warrant and agree that, while using the Web Site and the various services and features offered on or through the Web Site, you shall not: (a) impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent your affiliation with any other person or entity; (b) insert your own or a third party’s advertising, branding or other promotional content into any of the Web Site’s content, materials or services (for example, without limitation, in an RSS feed or a podcast received from HBG or otherwise through the Web Site), or use, redistribute, republish or exploit such content or service for any further commercial or promotional purposes; or (c) attempt to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems through the Web Site. You shall not: (i) engage in spidering, “screen scraping,” “database scraping,” harvesting of e-mail addresses, wireless addresses or other contact or personal information, or any other automatic means of accessing, logging-in or registering on the Site or for any services or features offered on or through the Site, or obtaining lists of users or obtaining or accessing other information or features on, from or through the Site or the services offered on or through the Site, including, without limitation, any information residing on any server or database connected to the Site or any services offered on or through the Site; (ii) obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorized access to computer systems, materials, information or any services made available on or through the Site through any means; (iii) use the Site or the services made available on or through the Site in any manner with the intent to interrupt, damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Site or such services, including, without limitation, sending mass unsolicited messages or “flooding” servers with requests; (iv) use the Web Site or the Web Site’s services or features in violation of HBG’s or any third party’s intellectual property or other proprietary, personal or legal rights; or (v) use the Site or the Site’s services in violation of any applicable law. You further agree that you may not attempt (or encourage or support any one else’s attempt) to circumvent, reverse engineer, decrypt, or otherwise alter or interfere with the Site or the Site’s services, or any content thereof, or make unauthorized use thereof. You agree that you will not use the Site in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Site or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Site. You may not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made publicly available or provided for through the Site.
8. Public Forums, Blogs. HBG may, from time to time, make messaging services, chat services, bulletin boards, message boards, blogs, other forums and other such services available on or through the Web Site. In addition to any other rules or regulations that we may post in connection with a particular service, you agree that you shall not upload, post, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish through the Web Site or any service or feature made available on or through the Web Site, any materials which (i) restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site or the Web Site’s services, (ii) are fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, offensive, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit or indecent, (iii) constitute or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, national or international law, (iv) violate, plagiarize or infringe the rights of third parties including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade secret, confidentiality, contract, patent, rights of privacy or publicity or any other proprietary right, (v) contain a virus, spyware, or other harmful component, (vi) contain embedded links, advertising, chain letters or pyramid schemes of any kind, or (vii) constitute or contain false or misleading indications of origin, endorsement or statements of fact. You further agree not to impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, including anyone from the Web Site or HBG. You alone are responsible for the content and consequences of any of your activities.
10. Private or Sensitive Information on Public Forums, Blogs. It is important to remember that comments submitted to a forum or blog may be recorded and stored in multiple places, both on our Web Site and elsewhere on the Internet, and are likely to be accessible for a long time and you have no control over who will read them eventually. It is therefore important that you are careful and selective about the personal information that you disclose about yourself and others, and in particular, you should not disclose sensitive, proprietary or confidential information in your comments to our public forums.
13. Infringement Notification.
We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and require that the people who use the Site do the same. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please forward the following information to HBG’s agent below:
Information to be submitted:
” Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address; ” A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; ” A description of where the alleged infringing material is located, with a link if possible; ” A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; ” An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; and ” A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your Notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Please send notifications of claimed infringement to: Legal Department, Hachette Book Group, Inc., 1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10104 Telephone: 212-364-1100 E-mail: email@example.com
14. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL SERVICES, CONTENT, FUNCTIONS AND MATERIALS, IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY FOR INFORMATION, DATA, DATA PROCESSING SERVICES, UPTIME OR UNINTERRUPTED ACCESS, ANY WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY, USEFULNESS, OR CONTENT OF INFORMATION, AND ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED. WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVICES, CONTENT, FUNCTIONS OR MATERIALS CONTAINED THEREIN WILL BE TIMELY, SECURE, UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SITE WILL MEET USERS’ REQUIREMENTS. NO ADVICE, RESULTS OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM US OR THROUGH THE SITE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE HEREIN. HBG ALSO ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY, AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, ANY DAMAGES TO, OR VIRUSES THAT MAY INFECT, YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OR OTHER PROPERTY ON ACCOUNT OF YOUR ACCESS TO, USE OF, OR BROWSING IN THE SITE OR YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIALS, DATA, TEXT, IMAGES, VIDEO, OR AUDIO FROM THE SITE. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SITE, YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SITE.
15. WE TRY TO ENSURE THAT THE INFORMATION POSTED ON THE SITE IS CORRECT AND UP-TO-DATE. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR MAKE CORRECTIONS TO ANY OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE AT ANY TIME AND WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WARNING. WE CANNOT, AND DO NOT, GUARANTEE THE CORRECTNESS, PRECISION, THOROUGHNESS OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY OF THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SITE, NOR WILL WE BE LIABLE FOR ANY INACCURACY OR OMISSION CONCERNING ANY OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE.
16. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE, SHALL HBG, ANY MEMBER OF THE HBG FAMILY, OR ANY OF THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTENT OR SERVICE PROVIDERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “PROTECTED ENTITIES”) BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING FROM, OR DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATED TO, THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE OR THE CONTENT, MATERIALS AND FUNCTIONS RELATED THERETO, YOUR PROVISION OF INFORMATION VIA THE SITE, LOST BUSINESS OR LOST SALES, EVEN IF SUCH PROTECTED ENTITY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO CERTAIN USERS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PROTECTED ENTITIES BE LIABLE FOR OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CONTENT POSTED, TRANSMITTED, EXCHANGED OR RECEIVED BY OR ON BEHALF OF ANY USER OR OTHER PERSON ON OR THROUGH THE SITE. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE PROTECTED ENTITIES TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION (WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR TORT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OR YOUR USE OF THE SITE EXCEED, IN THE AGGREGATE, THE AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU TO HBG FOR YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR PURCHASE OF PRODUCTS VIA THE SITE.
18. Applicable Laws. We control and operate the Site from our offices in the United States of America. We do not represent that materials on the Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Persons who choose to access the Site from other locations do so on their own initiative, and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable. All parties to these terms and conditions waive their respective rights to a trial by jury.
19. Termination. HBG may terminate, change, suspend or discontinue any aspect of the Site or the Site’s services at any time. HBG may restrict, suspend or terminate your access to the Site and/or its services if we believe you are in breach of our terms and conditions or applicable law, or for any other reason without notice or liability. HBG maintains a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of the Web Site use privileges of users who are repeat infringers of intellectual property rights.
Hachette Book Group, Inc.
Dated: March 31, 2008